Note:

If you would like to see our Hawley Studios Blog and Store, please visit the link above. :)

Monday, August 23, 2010

What is it about the middle of a story??

No matter how prepared I think I am, or how much groundwork I've laid in my notes... I always find my tires spinning in thick mud, sinking steadily deeper into a quagmire of the story's possibilities and needs. 

Why doesn't it just flow? 

I know that on the other side of the mud, when the four wheel drive finally kicks in, the terrain will be breathtaking, better than anything I had in my mind. 

It's getting out into that mud, sinking down to my knees in it, feeling it suck off my shoes, that's the grunt work.  The real creative proving ground.  Where sweat pours down your neck as you fumble in the gritty mire for the slick hub locks, praying that you get traction and make some meaningful headway again.

That's the real test of story.

No comments: